I learned this lesson from Charlie Munger’s book Poor Charlies Almanack and I used regularly ever since.
It’s quiet straight forward, instead of thinking forwards think backwards. Turn the question around and ask the opposite!
- For instance instead of asking what you are good at begin by clarifying what your bad at.
- Instead of asking what your website should look like begin by asking what it defiantly should not look like and then work from there.
- Instead of asking what business you want to start ask what business you don’t want to start.
- Instead of asking what you weaknesses are find out what your biggest strengths are and build your foundation on them.
- Instead of asking yourself what you look for in a partner, ask what you absolutely don’t want. …
This simple method will help you greatly when there are a lot of options to choose from! You can use it pretty much in every area of life.