Jocko Willink is a retired Navy SEAL Officer, I read this great book by him recently, and here are my notes on it. The lessons in it are mainly on leadership.
- There are no bad teams only bad leaders.
- Take full Ownership of your Life. You have to take full responsibility for everything you do, there is no one to blame but you.
- The Leader has to believe in his vision. Without that believe he can’t inspire people, especially when the goal is something outside most people’s comfort zone.
- People have to have a Why for doing anything. Dont just give orders but give them a meaningful answer to “Why?” doing X.
- Keep the Ego in check, go forward with humility. keep your Ego in check.
- prioritize and execute. When shit hits the fan prioritize the next best step and move on, don’t get paralyzed by chaos. Just take the first step.
Buy the book?
I got this lesson from the book The One Thing by Gary Keller.
Our Focus is at his best when its concentrated on one thing at a time! To find that one thin there is something called a focus question you can use:
What is the One Thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?
This Question has two parts, with a special meaning:
- Only one thing and something that is doable (“I can do”).
- The leverage test, your One Thing must make other things unnecessary
Ask this Question for every area of your life on a daily basis (Wealth, Love, Health, Happiness) to choose your main objective for that area. You can also add a time frame such as “right now” or “this year”.
I highly recommend reading Gary Keller’s book The One Thing it will change your life. He also has a Website with many great tips on the topic of Time-Management.