Ed is one of the founders of Pixar (Steve Jobs was also one of them) in his book Creativity Inc. he share his secrets to creativity.
- Get Out There – Don’t innovate in a safe bubble, live and breathe the context where your innovation will play out
- Harness Collective Brainpower – Bring in outsiders to critique your idea throughout the development process.
- Fail early, fail fast, fail fearlessly – Run experiments with low cost, low risk prototypes to get a feeling.
- Honesty is King, encourage open feedback, keep your Ego in check.
- Autocracy, listen to others but keep the creative control over the project.
- Dont wait for things to be perfect they will never be, at some point you need to just put it out there.
- Rules, procedures and processes can be comforting but that can also kill innovation. Be fearless about doing things differently.
- Be Opportunistic – Don’t fear randomness, embrace it – realise that successful innovation owes a lot to random opportunity and random events
Jeff Bezos build a 290 Billion Dollar Company called Amazon.com, here are some of the lessons from his biography.
- Always try to remove friction from the customer experience, make it as simple as possible for people.
- Invent your way out of the hole, we all face adversity, the best way to beat is by searching for a new way.
- Regret minimization, try to minimize the regret you will have at the end of your life. This is in Bezos opinion the best way to live a good life.
- Everything that is not a Law of Nature is up to debate.
- Amazon’s core values: Customer obsession, frugality, bias for action, ownership and high bar for talent
- Don’t be afraid to experiment, go by trial and error.
- Have a Chess Grand Masters view of the competitive landscape. Know everything about your competition.
- Bezos made is a habit to record every idea in a notebook (you could use Evernote for that(.
- Think Work-Life-Harmony not Work Life Balance, live an integrated life.
If you want to pick this book up click here.
Willpower by Roy Baumeister Book Summary
The main Take-Aways:
1. Willpower in a finite resource, that gets depleted as you use it. Think of it as a battery. We use up Willpower all the time, but the more demanding a task is the more Willpower it will use up.
2. You recharge Willpower by resting and eating food that is high in Glucose, like fruits.
3. Do the most demanding work when you have the most Willpower, meaning in the morning or after a meal.
4. Decisions take up a lot of Willpower, before making an important decision make sure that your are recharged.
5. When our Willpower is low there will be bad consequences like: 1. Things are much more frustrating 2. We do things we latter regret 3. We eat bad food 4. We make more mistakes.
The best way to prevent these consequences is by being aware of our low Willpower and making an effort to recharge it.