What makes ideas stick and what makes them worth sharing? How can we make our Message stick? In the great book Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath we get an answer, they call it the stickiness Factor:
Ideas must be …
- Tell a Story
- Simple: Strip the Idea to the core! What is the most important thing you want people to take away from it? What is the main problem your idea seeks to solve? Keep it Simple
- Unexpected: Things that are boring don’t get shared so we have to grab attention by suprising people! How to do that?
- Break a pattern people are used to
- Pose a Question or a puzzle
- Use a mystery story
- Open a knowledge Gap, people get curios when they feel that they don’t understand something
- Concrete: Your Idea should be grasped and remembered! Be clear in your message.
- Credible: Make sure that your idea is believable! Some ways to do that:
- Borrow someones credibility
- Create stories with real people
- No lies
- Details matter
- Give them something they can test themselves
- Emotional: People love drama so provide them with it. What emotions do I want to invoke in people?
- Story: Empower people to use an idea through narratives! Tell a story, the more hocks it has the more it will stick. Make sure to tell a compelling story.
These are the six factors that give your idea the biggest chance to get shared by other people.
Related Blog Posts: